Sunday, August 5, 2012

Evolution of a Desk

First major project--the desk from Habitat Re-Store.  It is a "SteelCase" brand, and 4 strong adults could barely get it into the van--we had a hard time getting it out of the van....and it is so big, I can't wait for it to be out of the garage!  (Even though I have had fun working on it...)
Here are some photos--there is no final "reveal" yet...one more coat of paint and then some poly-shine is needed...

 After the desk came home, this is how she looked...worn, scratched, unloved....


 So, a little TLC (aka, sanding) was required...

Sanding, and wood filling--which was followed by more sanding and washing...


The smile is because I was done sanding--the white is the primer--it really smoothed everything out. 

Here she is after one coat of paint..we wanted to keep the color as close to the original wood as we could.
As I was painting, I found out that the only wood was the top, the rest was wood-looking metal...

And here she is after two coats of paint....so gorgeous....no brush lines, only a few drip marks...

Hopefully tomorrow will be the last coat and then the following days a few coats of poly rub for protection and shine.  I can say that desks will NOT be my furniture of choice--at least a desk of this size. It was difficult to get under the desk and paint "inside"...and I am sure the neighbors got a few laughs. 
Thank goodness for Jimmy Buffett and Maroon 5 music....sure kept me going....

Can't wait to tackle the bench this week too!  Can't decide on the color--black or a dark taupe?
What do you think??

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate your opinions and ideas...and I will respond back as I am able! Come back again soon!